Monday, December 8, 2008

Social Vacuums...

I realize that I rarely blog anything that happened very recently. My life is such that I wouldn't blog much of what happens until years later. This is because of two reasons 1) My life is so exciting at that moment that I wouldn't mention it or 2) My life is so boring at that moment that it doesn't seem worth blogging at all...

We end up in Social Vacuums a lot in life. By Social Vacuums I mean that everyone is similarly situated enough that, from a Social standpoint, the only thing that matters in the characteristics that you ring to the table. Everyone is similarly situated enough that you are free to make certain assumption about people just based on the fact that they are there. To the extent that certain assumptions might be wrong about certain people its not usually something that matters.

It seems like what a person assumes about a person in a Social Vacuum is usually about true of about 80% of the people. Like someone who is outside of the realm of what you would assume exists, but it is so unlikely that you don't walk around thinking about it. I feel that, for better or for worst, I encounter the 20% fairly often in life. Occasionally its an issue that is very important and obviously would matter. I constantly find myself saying, "I can't believe that they didn't tell me that..."

No comments: